Insurance agencies

HDI-Gerling Verzekeringen N.V. and HDI Global SE, the Netherlands (further HDI) offers business related insurances via our insurance agencies as well as binders. A binder has the authority to offer HDI insurance products, possibly under its own name. A binder is independent and can have other authorities for multiple insurers. A binder is not required to place insurance policies within their authorisation on behalf of HDI.

How does a binder work?

A binder takes over the work which usual is done by the Insurer. A binder accepts insurances, issues policies end collects the premium. Besides this for most insurances a binder can also handle claims, usually without any direct involvement from HDI. A binder can also work as service provider for insurance agencies which does not have a relationship with HDI.

Is a binder liable?

Binders have their own licences which are checked on regular basis. These licences are registered and controlled by the Netherlands Authority for the Financial Markets (AFM). Most of the binders are affiliated with the NVGA , which is the Netherlands Association of Authorised Underwriting Agents. If you, however have a complaint related to  the binder which sells products of HDI you can contact our Compliance Officer.

Overview of binders

HDI works with a limited number of binders, but an authority is only given under restriction. The authority can be given for the following branches: liability, special lines (D&O en PI), property, motor and marine. In attached scheme you will find a list of our binders. This information also can be found at the AFM’s website.